Further supporting the Dubai Clean Energy Strategy 2050 to provide 75% of the emirate’s total power output from clean energy by 2050, Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) has signed a 25-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with Saudi Arabia’s ACWA Power for 900MW Phase 5 of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park (MBR Solar Park).
The PPA was signed by MD & CEO of DEWA, HE Saeed Mohammed Al Tayer, and chairman of ACWA Power, Mohammad Abunayyan, during a video conferencing session, marking a continuation of business activities despite the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
A consortium of ACWA Power and Gulf Investment Corporation were chosen as the preferred bidder to build and operate Phase 5 of the solar park in November 2019. DEWA received the lowest bid of $1.6953 cents per kilowatt hour (kW/h) for the phase, marking a world record.
DEWA in partnership with the consortium led by ACWA Power and Gulf Investment Corporation had established Shuaa Energy 3, in which it owns 60%, and the consortium owns the remaining 40%.
The project will use the solar photovoltaic (PV) bifacial technologies, which allows solar radiation to reach the front and back of the panels, with single-axis tracking to increase generation.
Phase 5 of the MBR Solar Park will be commissioned in stages from Q3 2021.
Signing the Power Purchase Agreement for the 900MW 5th phase of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park, with total investments of over AED 2 billion, underlines the trust of international organisations in DEWA and its projects. pic.twitter.com/iCfW4f9OC7
— DEWA | Official Page (@DEWAOfficial) April 30, 2020
Touted to be the largest single-site strategic renewable energy project in the world, the MBR Solar Park is based on the independent power producer (IPP) model. By 2030, it will have a capacity of 5,000MW with investments of up to $13.6bn (AED50bn).
Speaking at the signing ceremony, Al Tayer said: “The current operational capacity at the solar park is 1,013MW from photovoltaic solar panels. We have 1,850MW under construction from photovoltaic and Concentrated Solar Power (CSP), with future phases to reach 5,000MW by 2030.”
Meanwhile, Abunayyan said: “The Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park is the most ambitious and largest project-of-its-kind worldwide that aims to reduce carbon footprint in Dubai and transform Dubai into a global model in the clean energy and sustainable green economy.”
He added: “The fifth phase will witness a prosperous collaboration with Gulf Investment Corporation (GIC) and Shanghai Electric which will undoubtedly mark a milestone in the renewable energy sector – not on a regional level only – but on an international scale.”
This information has been sourced from ConstructionWeekOnline. All rights and opinions thereof belong to the original source author/publisher. WASEL&WASEL does not purport to be affiliated with the news, its persons, or interests in any way unless explicitly stated so.
To request our assistance, please contact one of our Professionals.